How to improve English pronunciation

Questions about English Pronunciation

Moderators: ashokrai, Englishuser

How to improve English pronunciation

Postby mikinsmith » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi friends
Is there any good way to improve English pronunciation so that I can talk like a native English Man?
mikinsmith

Re: How to improve English pronunciation

Postby jasmeetsingh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:16 pm

I am giving you the best resource for improving your pronunciation

www.howjsay.com

enjoy!1
jasmeetsingh

Postby celia19O5 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:01 am

yeah I find pronunciation is the most difficult part when studying English. It is partially because the way English is pronounced is different from the way we pronounce...
celia19O5

Postby mikinsmith » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:20 am

Hi all Thanks for your reply. I got a great and Fun Idea for improving English pronunciation. I think Watching English movies with subtitles are a great way to improve your English speaking ability. I’ve tired this and got a lot of help but to get more experts you have to take an English Course.
mikinsmith

Postby Bunty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:10 am

Here are some tips which helps to improve your English pronunciation:

i. Observe the mouth movements of those who speak English well and try to imitate them.

When you are watching television, observe the mouth movements of the speakers. Repeat what they are saying, while imitating the intonation and rhythm of their speech.

ii. Until you learn the correct intonation and rhythm of English, slow your speech down.

If you speak too quickly, and with the wrong intonation and rhythm, native speakers will have a hard time understanding you.

Don't worry about your listener getting impatient with your slow speech -- it is more important that everything you say be understood.

iii. Listen to the 'music' of English.

Do not use the 'music' of your native language when you speak English. Each language has its own way of 'singing'.

iv. Use the dictionary.

Try and familiarise yourself with the phonetic symbols of your dictionary. Look up the correct pronunciation of words that are hard for you to say.

v. Make a list of frequently used words that you find difficult to pronounce and ask someone who speaks the language well to pronounce them for you.

Record these words, listen to them and practice saying them. Listen and read at the same time.

vi. Buy books on tape.

Record yourself reading some sections of the book. Compare the sound of your English with that of the person reading the book on the tape.

vii. Pronounce the ending of each word.

Pay special attention to 'S' and 'ED' endings. This will help you strengthen the mouth muscles that you use when you speak English.

viii. Read aloud in English for 15-20 minutes every day.

Research has shown it takes about three months of daily practice to develop strong mouth muscles for speaking a new language.

ix. Record your own voice and listen for pronunciation mistakes.

Many people hate to hear the sound of their voice and avoid listening to themselves speak. However, this is a very important exercise because doing it will help you become conscious of the mistakes you are making.

x. Be patient.

You can change the way you speak but it won't happen overnight. People often expect instant results and give up too soon. You can change the way you sound if you are willing to put some effort into it.
Bunty

Postby frezbkr » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:56 am

Everybody wants to be able to speak English like a native speaker,but English pronunciation is always a big problem to ESL learners.You can use the phonetic alphabet page as a guide to pronouncing new words.If you can master the American pronunciation then you are not far from the British.
frezbkr

Postby ashokrai » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:53 am

There are two software programs that we use in our ESL computer lab...The first, which everyone most likely has heard of is Rosetta Stone...If you have the money then this software is one of the best resources available to improve low-beginners to intermediate-advanced ESL learners...Rosetta Stone has instant feedback with regards to pronunciation as well as other necessary components for language acquisition...Our computer lab logs in on average about 300 hours a week with students using this software to improve their English skills...A majority of our students use Rosetta Stone to specifically improve their pronunciation.

The other program that I prefer is Dragon Naturally Speaking... I recommend this for intermediate to upper-advanced language learners...This software is mainly used for the dictation component...It however can be used for integrating vocal commands and the GUI...It requires an initial vocal-training of the computer and you would need a native speaker to "train" the software to the preferred accent and gender...When you have the computer "trained" to the voice that you prefer then choose dictation and start speaking...If you pronounce the word correctly, you will see the word spelled correctly on the Dragon Notepad...you can also have this transcribed onto Microsoft Word or notepad....There is also a "Command" function which enables you to make vocal commands to the Desktop...This is fun if you want to play on the computer by voice commands only...this takes a lot of practice and a lot of voice training to get proficient enough to do this...The other use is the vocal-training of the computer...If you feel adept enough, you can start reading stories that are used to train the computer to your voice...This also takes some practice but is well worth the effort...Many of my students start this training component but get too frustrated to continue...the ones that persevere, find it very helpful to pinpoint pronunciation problems...This initial vocal-training of the computer may be better left for a native speaker so as not to deter some students from alternative language software education.
ashokrai
Admin Moderator

Postby englishj » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:37 am

A small tip for practising English pronunciation is to use an online dictionary. You can search a word at merriam webster and then click the speaker button. This gives you the word spoken by a native speaker. This is a great way to help your spoken English and specifically when you want to know how to say a word. Some dictionaries give it to you in both American and British English.
englishj

Postby Sasha77 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:44 am

1. Keep a notebook with you and use it to write down 10 words you hear every day at work that you are not familiar with. At the end of every work week, you should have 50 new words! Look up the meaning of all of the words and memorize them.
2. Watch American television for at least one half hour per day. Programs that you may find most helpful in learning everyday words, slang, and common idioms are usually sitcoms. The word "sitcom" is short for "situation comedy." These are weekly humorous shows that usually last for half an hour. Because they are about everyday life, they include everyday words and expressions that Americans use all the time.
3. Read aloud every day for 2-3 minutes. This will not only provide pronunciation practice, but it will also be a good source of vocabulary words from which to include in your new word list. Try reading things like newspaper articles and magazine articles, as these reading sources will provide you with words that you can use in your daily speech. Novels are also good, but many times include advanced and formal words that we often do not use in informal social situations.

4. Look up synonyms for 20 common words you use on a regular basis, and try using these synonyms as an alternate to using the same words all the time. For example, instead of using the word "pretty", you could say "beautiful", "good-looking", "gorgeous", etc.

Just following these four simple tips will help you develop and improve your vocabulary tremendously! Try it for a month and let me know how it works for you!
Sasha77

Postby jennycollins » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:24 pm

Lots of practice and understanding English pronunciation rules. :)

There are also online programs that could help you with this. I'm working on one currently but this is still a secret ;)
jennycollins

Postby RuskinFord » Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Pronounce in English the way you would in your native tongue. As English is widely spoken all over the world. Everyone would have an accent in which they speak.
The best way of pronouncing words in English is by watching English films.
That is very essential.
I hope this helps!

Regards.
Admin
https://www.apps4rent.com/
https://www.o365cloudexperts.com/
RuskinFord

Return to English Pronunciation / Английское произношение