LIGHTNING 3, DEVILS

Questions about English Pronunciation

Moderators: ashokrai, Englishuser

LIGHTNING 3, DEVILS

Postby elaine95 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:04 am

TORONTO — A year ago at this time [url=http://www.indianapoliscoltsteamonline.com/tyquan-lewis-jersey]Tyquan Lewis Jersey[/url] , Francisco Liriano was pitching for the Toronto Blue Jays amid speculation that he would be traded.

The left-hander is again a subject of trade speculation as he returns to the Rogers Centre on Friday night as the starting pitcher for the Detroit Tigers, who will try to end a nine-game losing streak in the opener of a four-game series with the Toronto Blue Jays.

The Tigers (36-46) lost 4-2 to the Oakland Athletics at Comerica Park on Thursday afternoon. The Blue Jays (37-43) had the day off after completing a 3-4 trip with a heartbreaking 7-6 loss to the Houston Astros on Wednesday on Alex Bregman’s two-run, walk-off homer.

Both teams are expected to trade some veteran players by the July 31 deadline for deals without waivers.

Liriano (3-3, 3.94 ERA) will face Blue Jays right-hander Marcus Stroman (0-5, 6.80). Both pitchers will make their second start after returning from the disabled list.

The Blue Jays did trade Liriano on July 31 to the Astros, who went on to win the World Series. In the deal, Toronto received outfielder Teoscar Hernandez, who has become a regular.

Liriano signed with the Tigers as a free agent on Feb. 23.

He will make his 12th start of the season in the series opener. Liriano went on the DL with a strained right hamstring after making his start on May 26 and did not pitch again until Saturday when he took the loss at Cleveland, allowing three runs (two earned), four hits and three walks in four innings.

All of the runs came in a 40-pitch first inning. He did not allow another hit in the next three innings.

“I was rushing things [url=http://www.officiallightningprostore.com/authentic-adidas-braydon-coburn-jersey]Braydon Coburn Jersey[/url] ,” Liriano said. “I hadn’t pitched in a while and I was trying to do too much, trying to do more than I can do, and I ended up missing pitches. … Everything feels great. Leg feels good, body feels nice.”

The 34-year-old has faced the Blue Jays seven times in his career, including five starts, going 1-4 with a 5.40 ERA. He last pitched against Toronto on Aug. 5 with Houston when he took the loss after allowing one run, one hit and one walk in two-thirds of an inning in relief.

In 18 career appearances, including 17 starts, at the Rogers Centre, Liriano is 8-4 record with a 4.03 ERA and 98 strikeouts.

Stroman also returned from the DL on Saturday when he allowed six hits and one walk while striking out five in five scoreless innings against the Los Angeles Angels. He did not factor in the decision of a game the Blue Jays won 4-1.

He had not pitched since May 8 because of inflammation in his right shoulder [url=http://www.officialhockeyrangersshop.com/authentic-adidas-mika-zibanejad-jersey]Mika Zibanejad Jersey[/url] , a problem that shortened his spring training. Stroman believes that in retrospect he probably should have taken a couple of more weeks to build up the shoulder before starting to pitch in the regular season.

“When I’m going good, I feel like I’m pitching at 80, 85 percent and that’s where I’m at right now,” Stroman said. “Earlier in the season, I was max effort, I was pitching at 100 percent every pitch and now I’m back to being very free and easy. Once I’m free and easy, I can do whatever I want.”

Stroman said the shoulder “feels way better.”

“I’m moving way easier, I can pause, I can mess with my delivery now, I can do many things I wasn’t able to do previously in the year [url=http://www.greenbaypackersteamonline.com/nick-perry-jersey]Nick Perry Jersey[/url] ,” he added. “Feels great.”

In two career starts against the Tigers, he is 0-1 with a 3.60 ERA.

The Tigers won two of three games against the Blue Jays at Comerica Park on June 1-3. Detroit will try to win its first season series against Toronto since 2013. The Tigers lost two of three games at the Rogers Centre last season, the fourth straight series they have dropped in Toronto.

Nicklas Backstrom scored his second goal of the game 11:53 into overtime to give the Washington Capitals a 4-3 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday and a 3-2 lead in the first-round playoff series.

Braden Holtby made 16 of his 39 saves in the third period to help Washington get to overtime. Four of five games between the teams have gone past regulation making fatigue a factor for Game 6 Monday night in Columbus.

Evgeny Kuznetsov and T.J. Oshie scored along with Backstrom in regulation for the Capitals, who became the first home team this series to win a home game. Holtby has been in net for Washington’s three consecutive victories after replacing Philipp Grubauer in Game 2, stopping 102 of 108 shots to turn the tide.

Fellow Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky allowed a soft goal to Kuznetsov as one of his four on 29 shots in the loss. Matt Calvert scored short-handed and on a breakaway and Oliver Bjorkstrand had a deflection goal for Columbus.

MAPLE LEAFS 4, BRUINS 3

BOSTON (AP) – Tyler Bozak and James van Riemsdyk scored 1:19 apart in the second period, and then Toronto killed off a 5-on-3 and three more power plays in a row to beat Boston and avoid elimination.

Connor Brown and Andreas Johnsson each scored his first career playoff goal in the first period, and the Maple Leafs took a 4-1 lead to chase Tuukka Rask in the second. Toronto also led 4-1 in Game 7 of the teams’ 2013 playoff series before the Bruins won in overtime en route to their second Stanley Cup final berth in two years. This time, Boston cut the deficit to one goal but the Leafs held on.

Frederik Andersen stopped 42 shots for Toronto, which returns home for Game 6 on Monday. Game 7 would be back in Boston on Wednesday [url=http://www.officialblues.com/authentic-adidas-vladimir-sobotka-jersey]Vladimir Sobotka Jersey[/url] , if necessary.

Jake DeBrusk and Sean Kuraly scored for the Bruins. Patrice Bergeron returned to the ice after missing one game with an undisclosed injury.

LIGHTNING 3, DEVILS 1

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) – Nikita Kucherov scored his 27th career postseason goal, Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped 26 shots and Tampa Bay beat New Jersey to end the first-round series in five games.

The 19-year-old Mikhail Sergachev became the youngest player in Lightning history to score a playoff goal and Ryan Callahan, back in the lineup after missing the previous two games with an upper-body injury, sealed it with an empty-netter with 1.7 seconds remaining.

Tampa Bay advanced to a second-round series against the Boston-Toronto winner.

Kyle Palmieri scored for the Devils.

[url=http://www.officialusafootballs.com/chicago-bears]Womens Chicago Bears Jerseys[/url]
elaine95

Return to English Pronunciation / Английское произношение