Genre: Music of Africa

Do you have a favourite band, song or a musician? Anything about music can be discussed here!

Moderator: ashokrai

Genre: Music of Africa

Postby ashokrai » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:33 am

In traditional Africa, music is an integral part of life and is linked with the worldview of the society in which it is produced. It has social, ritual, and ceremonial functions as well as some purely recreational purposes. Traditional art forms, including music, are rooted in mythology, legends, and folklore, and are associated with gods, ancestors and heroes. Musical activities are ritualized and intended to link the visible world with the invisible. Dancing is often an important part of the ritual and spiritual aspect of music.

Percussion instruments are the most popular instrument in African societies. Rattles, friction sticks, bells, clappers, and cymbals are popular. Many groups also use the sansa and xylophones. Numerous types of drums are also used. Various wind instruments are made out of tusks, horns, conch shells, wood or gourds. Styles of vocal music vary from area to area. This is due partly to the different languages spoken in different areas. Most African languages are tonal languages which are reflected in the singing.

Click to Listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTtz6BIyGok
ashokrai
Admin Moderator

Re: Genre: Music of Africa

Postby itstrisha » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:29 am

I love African songs! They are so delightful that i can hear to them whole day long without getting bored of it. :D
itstrisha

Re: Genre: Music of Africa

Postby pankaj0008 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Yes, African songs are awesome. I can listen all day without getting bored.
pankaj0008

Return to Music and Songs Lyrics